The Bombers could be one of the most successful sports team in the Ugandan sports history.
Indeed, history shows it is only Boxing and Athletics (In general) that the Ugandan Flag has always been assured of being flown high at the global Stage judging from level of success that has been realised in the respective disciplines.
For many years Boxing as a Sport has provided Uganda numerous accolades and medals and has rarely disapointed on global stage.
The first Ugandan and East African Boxing medal was won in 1958 at the Cardiff City Commonwealth games in UK when Tom Kawere (the then Bombers’ Captain) defeated a Scottish opponent to win a Silver medal. That medal excited President Idi Amin Dada who ended up appointing Kawere as the national boxing coach in 1959.
The Touchline Sports today brings you some of the accolades the Uganda Boxing team “Bombers ” has won at global stage.
1. Eridadi Mukwanga Mexico City silver medal 1968
2. Leo Rwabwogo Mexico City Bronze medal 1968
3. Leo Rwabwogo Munich Silver medal 1972
4. Faisal Musante. Munich Bronze medal 1972
5. John Mugabi Moscow Silver medal 1980
Common wealth games:
1. Tom kawere. silver medal Cardiff city 1958
2. George Oywello Gold medal Perth city 1962
3. Peter Odhiambo. Gold medal Perth city 1962
4. Francis Nyangweso Bronze medal Perth city 1962
5. Kesi Odong Silver medal Perth city 1962
6. Wandera Bronze medal ,Perth city 1962
7. John Sentongo. Bronze medal, Perth city 1962
8. Donciano Ochodomuge Bronze medal, Perth city 1962
9. ALEX Odhiambo Bronze medal, Kingston Jamaica 1966
10. Ben Ochan Bronze medal, Kingston Jamaica 1966
11. Mathias Ouma. Bronze medal ,Kingston Jamaica 1966
12.James Odwori Gold medal, Edinburg city 1970
13. Muhammed Muruli Gold medal, Edinburg city 1970
14.Ayub Kalule . Gold medal, Christchurch city 1974
15. Mustaffa Wasajja Silver medal, Christchurch city 1974
16. Victor Byarugaba. Bronze medal, Christchurch city 1974
17. Ali Rojo Silver medal, Christchurch city 1974
18.Victor Byarugaba Silver medal, Brisbane city 1982
19. Godfrey Nyakana Gold medal, Auckland city 1990
20. Justin Juuko Gold medal, Auckland city 1990
21. Abdu Kaddu Bronze medal, Auckland city 1990
22. Charles Matata . Bronze medal, Auckland city 1990
23.Joseph Lubega . silver medal, Manchester city 2002
24. Kayongo Muhammad Silver medal, Manchester city 2002
25. Mubiru Martin Bronze medal, 2006
26. Sekabembe Micheal Bronze medal, Scotland city 2014
27. Fazil Juma Bronze medal, Scotland city 2014
28. Miiro Juma. Bronze medal, Australia 2018
All Africa games:
1. Mathias Ouma silver medal , Brazzaville 1965
2. Ndababonye Bronze medal, Brazzaville 1965
3. Lihanda Patrick Gold medal, Nairobi city 1987
4. Kaddu Fred Gold medal, Nairobi city 1987
5. Kakooza John Gold medal 1989
6. Tebazalwa Abdu Gold medal , South Africa 1998
7. Sunday Muhammad KIZITO Gold medal, South Africa 1998
8. Katende Kennedy Bronze medal 2016
9. Serugo Ronald Bronze medal 2016
10. Semujju David Kavuma Silver medal , Morrocco 2019
11. Masembe Isaac Silver medal, Morocco 2019
12. Baleke Helen Bronze medal, Morocco 2019
East Africa Regional Champions
1. 2018- UGANDA Bombers (Trophy Holders)
A good number of Uganda Boxers have gotten professional deal in some of the Elite Boxing camps in the world.
Sharif Bogere, Justin Juuko, Willy Sengoba, John Baker Muwanga, Sula Ssegawa, Hudson Muhumuza and many others have represented Uganda in the Pro Zone.