South Sudan national basketball team has been granted a place in the Wild Card tournament, thereby giving them a chance to advance to the qualifying round of AfroBasket 2021, FIBA confirmed.
The per-tournament will take place between 23rd-25th October in Yaounde, Cameroon, and will now consist of 4 nations (Chad, Cape Verde, Zimbabwe, and South Sudan).
The team that tops the Wild Card Tournament group shall progress to participate in the second round of qualification for the FIBA AfroBasket 2021 in Group E with Morocco, Egypt and Uganda.
The four teams will play two tournaments in the international windows with the top three teams from each group automatically qualifying to the FIBA AfroBasket 2021 to be held in Rwanda.
The team kicked off preparation for the wild card tournament two weeks ago with locally-based players while the final list of players is expected to be submitted to FIBA by 25 September 2020.
- Group A – Tunisia, Central Africa Republic, DRC, Tunisia
- Group B – Senegal, Angola, Mozambique, Kenya
- Group C – Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Guinea
- Group D – Nigeria, Mali, Rwanda, Zone, Algeria
- Group E – Morocco, Egypt, Uganda, TBC